Trucking Accident Attorneys Proudly Serving Victims in Austin, Texas
It is said that the trucking industry is the life-blood of American commerce. Approximately 70% of all freight moved in the United States is done by trucks. However, the sheer size and weight of semi-trucks and 18-wheelers make accidents, when they occur, potentially catastrophic or even fatal. If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a trucking accident in Texas, you need the assistance of an accomplished Austin Truck Accident Lawyer.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The majority of truck drivers are professional, courteous and careful, but despite this fact, accidents do happen. Among the factors that typically contribute to tractor-trailer accidents are:
- Inadequate truck maintenance – Defective equipment doubles the chance that a truck will be involved in an accident involving substantial property damage or injury, according to the IIHS. Faulty brakes and steering top the list of defects.
- Driver fatigue – Drowsy driving is commonplace among long-haul drivers even though there are strict national and intra-company regulations in place, including drive-time limitations and required rest periods.
- Distracted drivers – While state and federal entities have become increasingly aware of the dangers of texting and driving and have instituted firm laws and severe consequences for breaking them, it still occurs.
- Aggressive drivers – Trucks have slower response times when it comes to trying to correct their own aggressive driving or combat against another vehicle’s poor driving practices. This is especially true when braking, returning to their own lane or swerving to avoid a collision with another vehicle or something in the road.
- Impaired driving – Truck drivers are subject to regular drug and alcohol screening, but this does not completely rule out truckers driving while under the influence of either. There is the added possibility that there are other impaired drivers on the road – a bad combination in even the best of circumstances.
Ways to Avoid Trucking Accidents
Truck Driver Behavior: Be on the lookout for signs that the driver of a truck is driving distracted or drowsy. If you see a truck drifting out of their lane or weaving in their lane, you should get out of the immediate area of the truck. Accelerate to pass the truck, slow down or get into a lane that is not near the truck.
Blind Spots: Drivers of smaller motor vehicles need to be aware that large and tall trucks have different perspectives of visibility than smaller and lower-riding vehicles. Keep this in mind when driving near an 18-wheeler. Just because you can see them, does not mean they can see you.
Wide Turns: Trucks are known for making wide turns. Drivers in vehicles following behind or beside a truck should never go into any open areas to the left or right of a truck’s trailer when a turn is in progress.
Who Can Be Held Responsible in Austin Trucking Accidents
Liability may seem cut and dry in a Texas truck accident, however, this is not always the case. A third party may have inadequately secured a load which later came loose and caused an accident. There are other situations that may occur, but here are some examples of responsible parties:
- Employed Truck Driver
- Trucking Company
- Independent Owner/Operator
- Cargo Loaders
- Truck or Truck Parts Manufacturer
Since liability is not always clear, it is extremely important that you seek experienced legal guidance. The skilled team at Treviño Law understands the process of determining liability and is familiar with the state and federal regulations that govern trucking safety. We are proficient in filing legal claims on behalf of our clients to recover damages for injury or death when a truck accident occurs.
The Insurance Company is Not On Your Side – How We Can Help
Insurance companies almost always categorically deny claims, initially. They count on a certain number of people not pursuing the claim any further. Many people believe that if they’ve been denied by the responsible party’s insurer that there is nothing they can do about it. Our Austin Personal Injury Attorneys are not afraid to take on the big insurance companies. We prepare all cases as if they will go to trial. If we take your case, we’ll immediately start investigating the accident, collecting pertinent evidence such as medical documents and police reports, interviewing witnesses and filing the proper paperwork. Our legal team will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call a Trusted Austin Truck Accident Attorney
After an accident, you may not know where to turn. It is a stressful time and you and your family are suffering in many ways. Lost time and income from work and mounting medical bills only add to that stress. Let us take some of the burdens off you so that you can concentrate on healing and getting your life back on track. Contact Treviño Law today for a confidential and compassionate consultation.